Try It Out
If you want to check out the Backlink plugin, do the following:
- How to setup the plugin:
- This plugin only works with Netscape Navigator 4.x, so you'll need to
ensure that that browser is installed
- Start WBI
and setup your browser to use WBI as a proxy.
- Register the Backlink plugin on the WBI console by
typing (on one line):
- Check to see whether the plugin is registered and enabled. Go to the
WBI Setup page. The Backlink plugin
should be listed in the table with a checkmark next to its name. If the plugin
is not listed, try registering it again. If the checkmark is not there, click
on the box to the left of the plugin name.
- Open another browser window. Use that window to try out the plugin, and use
this window to display the documentation. (To open a window
using Netscape Navigator, go to File -> New -> Navigator Window.)
- How to use the plugin:
- Visit any web site outside your firewall, e.g., The WBI Homepage. Look for
the link "[backlinks]" in the top left-hand corner of the
browser window. If you click on this link, after a few moments you
should see a popup window listing some web pages which contain links
to the current page. You can browse to these pages and see who is
linking to the current page.
What It Does
The plugin inserts a link into the top of each page with a WBI
Editor. When clicked, this link makes a request to a WBI Generator
which contacts a search engine which provides a list of backlinks.
For the purpose of this example, AltaVista's© Raging Search Engine is
used, but any search engine that provides the backlink service could
be plugged in easily.
How It Works
The Backlink plugin is comprised of two Editors and a Generator.
the top of the document. The plugin uses an AddPreambleEditor, a WBI
bean, to simplify this work. The Generator is responsible for
contacting the search engine, performing some minimal parsing to
discover the backlinks within the search results, and reformating them
for display in the small popup window.
In order to produce the popup effect, the proprietary Netscape
LAYER tag is used. (Unfortunately the standardized
DIV tag implemented in Internet Explorer and Mozilla does not
provide any way to set the source attribute, which is required for
layer and sets its source to be a URL to which the Generator in this
Some key WBI classes that were used:
- Contains the class definition for the backlink plugin.
- Contains the necessary code to register the plugin with WBI. Registration is done through WBI during runtime.
- This file.